Born in New York City
Educated through High School in Kingston, Jamaica• International Baccalaureate from Cambridge University, England
Joined Ex-Rotary Club of Duarte in 1982
• Held every office at club level
• First Woman President worldwide, in Rotary International
• Made up at clubs in England, Scotland, the Caribbean, Australia, South Africa, India
• Chaired Four-Way Test Speech competition for 6 years
• Chaired Ambassadorial Scholarship Committee for 6 years
• Served on District Finance Committee
• Chaired Simplified Grant Program
• Served as Assistant Governor
• Recipient of Rotary Foundation District Service Award
• Recipient of Sylvia Whitlock award, established and presented at the 2017 International Convention
• Participated in NIDS, established AIDS clinic in Jamaica, supported orphanage in Mexico, sank wells in Nigeria, raised almost $90,000. for Education for Girls in India
• Is multiple Paul Harris Fellow, Benefactor and Member of the Bequest Society
• District Governor 2012-2013
• Has spoken at more than 100 District Conferences, numerous clubs in the United States and overseas, Institutes and Zone events
• Addressed all 530 incoming governors at 2013 International Assembly
• Honorary Member of Rotary Club of Calcutta Metropolitan, Chicago One, Duarte Rotary
Other community activities and awards (past and present)
• Member of the Rotary Club of Claremont, CA
• Member of the Board of Spanish Trails Girl Scout Council
• Recorder for Blind and Dyslexic
• Commission Member at Tri-City Mental Health Authority
• Trainer in Mental Health First Aid
• Volunteer at Pomona Valley Hospital
• Chair of Pastor Parish Relations Council at Trinity U.M. Church
• Member and Past President of Beta Mu Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma International
• AFRAM GLOBAL Villager Award, 2019
• UNA Global Citizen Award 2013
• Chair of Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation Teams
• Member of California State Committee on Credentials at California State Department of Education (2004-2010)
• Distinguished Alumna at Cal Poly, Pomona
• NAACP Woman of the Year
• Hall of Fame, Hunter College, CUNY. 2021
Sylvia had three adult children, one of whom is Human Resources Assistant at University of California, Berkeley. She considers raising her children the most satisfying and enjoyable job she has ever had, almost comparable to enjoying her first grandson, and now a new granddaughter and another grandson. Likes tennis, the Stanford Cardinals Football Team, the Seahawks, the Golden state Warriors, especially Steph Curry, and the Los Angeles Angels. She is also a world traveler.
|POSTPONED TO A FUTURE DATE
Rotary Party with a Purpose Social at Jaxson's Ice Cream
|POSTPONED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 28, 2021
(LAST CHANCE) The Village of Allapattah YMCA Family Center Raffle
The Village of Allapattah YMCA Family Center is holding a raffle with some amazing prizes, including a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise for 2+$700, $2000 & $1000 cash. The raffle winners will be announced on August 12th, live on the Village of #Allapattah YMCA Facebook page from the Y building. Entry bundles begin at $10 and you can buy as many entries as you wish. 100% of the donations will go to serve the community, please consider donating.
Just go to this link: https://go.rallyup.com/ymca
Other prizes are a set of 4 tires from Balado National Tires valued at $500, 2 Miami Heat tickets valued at $150, tickets to the SuperBlue and Rubell museums valued at $144, and a liquor basket valued at $70.
Please share this with family, friends, colleagues, . . . anyone!
POSTPONED: SATURDAY, AUGUST 28, 2021
KITE FESTIVAL with PAL (Police Athletics League)
Come join us for a fun family event. We are sponsors for this event and our Rotary logo will be in the kites handed out to the attendees.
|Thursday, September 9th to Sunday, September 12th - District 6990 Conference.
Conference will be held at the Naples Grande Beach Resort.
Address: 475 Seagate Drive Naples, Florida 34103
Phone: (239) 207-0634
Room rates at $159.00 per night is available but you must book your room before August 19th. The link is on the dacdb calendar for the conference and the hotel.
Conference registration fee: $350.00 per person. If you book the hotel directly on their website: https://www.naplesgrande.com put in the group code: GROTA921
You can also call their 800 number which is: (844) 489-9663 and give the group code (listed above) or ask for "Rotary 6990".
|PAST EVENT (Celebrated on July 21, 2021)
Largest Rotary Club Meeting Ever
The recording is available at: https://youtu.be/xOVVZ7j8bhw
The Y (YMCA) 2021 Swim Suit Drive / Donate Swimsuits / Drowning Prevention